Monday, July 20, 2009

Psalms 107:1

I know this one's lengthy, but it's one of the last few:

Earlier today I thought I would be sitting here writing about how unbelievably awesome Kruger Park was... and about how I saw lions, baboons, monkeys, kudos, elephants, zebras, giraffes, rhinos, hippos, and more! Don't get me wrong, it truly was an amazing experience and I have zillions of pictures to show for it. But on the way home I had a different ride than I had expected. Kaylee and I were in the back seat of our "Super Custom" van. Our seat was laid back and the sunroof was open. We were laying there, looking at the stars, just talking about how this is really all almost over. I asked Rhoda how the children would know that we were leaving. They are always full of anticipation when we say goodnight as they kiss our cheeks and say, "Manana?" Asking Rhoda that question created a knot in my throat and left my stomach feeling empty. How will we tell them there will be no 'manana?' How am I going to say goodbye? We continued talking and I felt the realization hit me at a million miles an hour. This really is coming to an end and goodbyes are in order. I couldn't hold back tears as I thought of each child individually. Sixteen children, to be exact:


Maria.. We tend to call her Big Maria. She is full of character and her big eyes are always full of wonder. She is adores Kristin and their relationship is priceless. She gives the greatest hugs. She is so beautiful, full of courage, but also timid at the same time. She has so much going for her and I know that she will do amazing things.

"Little Maria" has facial expressions that will make you melt. She is the sweetest, most gentle girl. She loves to be held and cuddled with. She's the oldest of her family and serves as a mom too much of the time, so we thoroughly enjoy holding her for a change. Her smile is unforgettable.

Victoria.. loves to dance. She isn't upfront about it, but whenever I really watch her she always seems to be moving to a beat. She has a gentle spirit, and is such a loving girl. She is the sister of Merrelli and couldn't be better for him. She is going somewhere, I know it. I'll miss her contagious giggle.

Selena is little miss diva. Miss priss would also be fitting for this "all pink," little girl. I don't think any six year old has ever made me laugh so much. She is absolutely beautiful, both inside and out and is completely full of spunk! I think I'll miss hearing her say the new english phrase I taught her, "I'm a divaaaa!"

Joannah marches to the beat of her own drum :) She is fairly quiet, but always content. I think I first noticed her individuality when I saw her little collection of "goodies" (misc. items like bottle caps and pieces of old plastic) that she stores in the top pocket of her blue, floral dress. She is a sweet girl that seems to always have a smile on.

Rebecca takes pride in being the big sister of Ada. She loves loves loves hugs and adores attention. Her big round eyes are almost unreal. She has come through a lot and we have even seen her through having teeth pulled! I know that she is being made stronger all the time. I will miss her daily hugs.

Tabita's favorite word for us "white girls" is Blancos. She tends to sit outside of our windows and call in with her sweet, high voice, "blancoooooooos?" It's so funny and we will definitely miss it! She loves to act as if I am a walking jungle gym and I must say I will miss that too. She loves unconditionally, every single day. Her sweet eagerness to love won't be forgotten.

Joyce! Oh, Joyce. Crazy girl. haha. She will make anyone laugh. She is spiratic and free spirited. She contains so much energy, but always makes sure that you are keeping up with her. She's a huge fan of "braiding" our hair and is always trying something new. She will grow up to be a very productive woman, I'm sure!

Ada could literally be a doll. She is the most precious thing I have ever seen. She is always quiet and a bit timid, but she has her moments of outrageous laughter and excitement too! I will never forget the day she "watered" our back porch while wearing only her little pants. She is a cutieeee. I will miss those beautiful, wide eyes.

Teresa is the oldest girl here and is maturing into a beautiful woman. She is always helping all of the girls around here. Her smile is beautiful and I will miss her hugs so much! We have enjoyed getting to know her and having her around for all our activities. She is so sweet!

Terezinya. Oh, Terezinya... She is our little dinosaur :) She is the youngest, and one of the funniest! She is packed full of personality and I will miss hearing her continuously recite her name. ("Ter-teen-ta") She cracks me up and I will miss her squishing my face together and watching her run to us from across campus.

Amarrar is the oldest boy here. He is always eager to help out and is sure to always keep all the kids 'in order.' He loves soccer and running around with all the boys. He is always so polite as he runs up and shakes each of our hands when he sees us. I will miss his uncontrollable laughter and his huge smile.

Jobe is the big brother of Big Maria. He is loves to get everyone in place and in order at all times. He is the "tough one" but has showed his soft side at times. He started coming to VBS for snacks, but stayed around much longer towards the end. I will miss that smile and that sweet boy that we discovered within him.

Jusomo. He is the most spiratically-seen of all the kids here, I think he may be a Momma's boy :) But when he is around, he is usually quiet, but full of smiles. His eyes are always so big and full of wonder. He is so cute and I will never forget his little red overalls.

Sergio is energetic and so sweet. He is all boy and is usually seen with his arms around a 'futbol.' He is extremely sweet and loves the hugs. He and Juvencu are best friends, it's my favorite to see them together. I will miss his contagious smile so much.

Juvencu is unbelievably sweet to the core. He is the oldest of Victoria and Merrelli and his laugh... guys, his laugh is the most beautiful thing, really! He is always watching out for his siblings, but also loves to have fun. Soccer is also his favorite and his smile can be seen from a mile away. I feel like I can relate to him so much, he tugs at my heart in so many ways. I will miss his eager, ginormous hugs.

Merrelli... you all have heard about Merrelli. He will be in my heart, forever. His loud screaming laughter, his gaping smile, his crazy energy, his slobbery shirt, his famous plaid shorts, his attempt at cartwheels, his kisses, his hugs, his laughter, his beautiful eyes, his bald head, his personality, his dirty hands and feet, his love of soccer, him. I will miss him so much.


We have come to love each of these children individually and genuinely. I have never in my life received more love and acceptance from any people in my life. As you can see, they have all impacted me, permenately. I am definietly looking forward to coming home to be with my family and friends, but I will miss this family here so much. I have hope for each and every one of them. I am not looking forward to goodbye, but at the same time, I am so thankful that the relationships we have build are the reason for that difficulty. I wouldn't trade the past two months for anything.

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Psalms 107:1

I wish more than anything that I could express the appreciation I have for all of you for your prayers and continued support. That would simply be impossible. I think the only way to fully express appreciation to someone is to do the same thing they did for you, but for someone else. To pass it on... to create a domino effect. I can only pass on the love I have received from these kids because there is no other option. I can only pass on the generosity and love that I have received from all of you because there is no other option for that either. Two months in Mozambique, Africa would be simply two incredible months if something wasn't brought home because of it. So I choose to pass it on, to push it over to someone else. I think that's how the Lord intends for us to love each other. I don't know what will happen here in Maputo after I am gone, but it is my prayer that the Lord works in his amazing way and harvests the seeds that he used us to plant. I pray that he spreads his love and his grace to these people in unbelievable ways.

Tomorrow is our last full day in Maputo, Mozambique. Tomorrow we will say goodbye. Tomorrow there will be endless tears and many hugs, but I am so thankful for that... because he blessed us with these relationships. These sixteen children, so many others that we have met here, and you all, have changed me forever. Thank you, so much, for joining me in this journey. It's been unbelievable. I will be writing tomorrow :) Love Always, Allyson

1 comment:

Darlene and Mike said...

I can hardly stop crying reading this. You express yourself so well and your descriptions are very articulate....so precious, Allyson!